Friday, September 3, 2010

Greetings from Sunny Saskatoon!

Greetings from Sunny Saskatoon!
...Trent wants me to mention that Saskatoon is the home of “The Deep Dark Woods” for those of you who are interested in checking out their music. We had a late start this morning. We stayed last night at the Hilton Garden Inn and I slept like a baby. All this sitting in the passenger seat is very exhausting! : ) Trent didn’t mind that I slept in and it’s after 1pm right now and we are just getting on the road. Sleeping in, out for breakfast, a little shopping...this is my kind of road trip!! :) From what I can see, Saskatoon is lovely. We had breakfast at the Broadway Cafe. It was very 50’s style. Lots of black, white and red checkers. Neat. 
I loved Broadway actually. Lots of little shops and cafes, like Whyte Ave for you Edmontonians...or Waterstreet for you Newfoundlanders.
It is so unusual to have no real plan each day. We know our destination but it is kinda nice to have the freedom to take our time in getting there. It’s kind of exciting. I know that we are moving back ...but the reality of it hasn’t really sunk in yet. It feels like we are on a vacation...just with a lot of suitcases and furniture.
Back to our day.
After breakfast we walked along Broadway Avenue. Loved it. Trent bought a hat and then we continued to walk to Friendship Park to take a few snaps of the North Saskatchewan River. There was a trestle there that reminded me of our hometown, Bishop’s Falls. I really hope this weather follows us across Canada. 
I had to stop for a coffee on the way back to the truck. I love trying coffee at as many new places as I can. Broadway Roastery...two thumbs up.
Now we are off to...Winnipeg...that is about 10 hours I think? That’s a lot of sitting.
Oh and...please drop us a line. Have you travelled across Canada? We would love some suggestions as to places to go and things to see. Hope to hear from you!
...check out how Trent parallel parked the trailer...not bad hey? : ) 
xo
Janine and Trent
(Thanks Christy for the blogging idea!)
Hilarious.
  

4 comments:

  1. Janine I love your blog! That's so awesome that you're moving home again :) You look great...and you're right, that bridge reminds me of Bishop's!

    If you're going through Kingston or Ottawa and need a place to stay let me know. I'll be going to Toronto on the 8th but if you're going through before then you're more than welcome to stay here :) I live 40 minutes off the 401 at Kingston and Ryan is in Ottawa. We'd love to see you!

    Have safe travels,

    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! Again, I'm IMPRESSED!!
    No trouble to know you're ENJOYING this cross country trip. So nice Meagan Sandberg has been in touch.
    What a gift you have Janine in expressing yourself and showing us all these landmarks.
    You should be with CBC reporting from Canada!!!!!
    We LOOK forward to MORE!!!!!!
    GREAT STUFF!!
    Love MOM and ERIN xoxoxooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, loving the Saskatoon pictures! Was my home away from home for many years. You found the greatest locations...Broadway is definitely mini version of Whyte Ave and Broadway Roastery...a favorite coffee place! Oh, I love and miss Saskatoon. You even caught a small glimpse of where my Grandma and Grandpa owned a condo for many years. The picture of the Besborough hotel...the building in the very far left of that picture! Funny...

    When you get to Winnipeg, go to the Forks. Lots of quaint shops to see and cafes.

    You may feel like you're on vacation but I'm missing you big time. Glad you're having fun on the road though!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the picture you took of your SHADOW!!!

    It looks AWESOME!!!!!!

    That TRESTLE in the background looks so MUCH like ours!!!! Love the pics with the trestle in the background.
    Didn't mean to repeat myself.

    DRIVE SAFELY!!!!!

    Love Erin xooooooxooooxo

    ReplyDelete