Monday, September 6, 2010

Day Five...Marathon to Sudbury!



Today I woke up and felt as tired as I did when I went to sleep! Trent on the other hand was up long before me and ready to hit the road. We are so different in that respect. I am a total night owl and Trent is a morning bird. Either way, we were on the road by 10:30...which is an early start for us. I don’t think it takes most people this long to get through Ontario, but like I said, our goal is to enjoy the trip!
I feel that I have developed a little bit of a love/hate relationship with Northern Ontario. Here’s why. During the day, the drive is pretty spectacular. Beautiful, beautiful water has followed us along the way. Lake Superior is the most incredible shades of blue, green and turquoise. The beaches along the way have alternated between rocky and sandy. Crashing waves...the trees are showing signs of Fall as well...beginning to turn yellows and orangey reds...delightful.
But in the nighttime the drive is long and weary. We wished we could peel the blanket of night away as our eyes grew tired. 
(Also for some reason my iphone has not worked the whole time in Northern Ontario and I have missed feeling connected to the rest of the world...however today in Sault Ste Marie it started to have service again...Hurray!!!)
So Day 5...
We left Marathon and stopped first in Wawa. We had a picture taken with the biggest goose I have ever seen. 
(An old concert poster for Stompin' Tom Connors in the 60's.) 



We get carried away with the picture taking...haha. I pose for a shot. Then Trent will pose. Then my turn again. We continue back and forth sharing the camera! 


We stopped at one of the sandy beaches today...called Old Woman Bay. We both raced out of the truck like children, so excited to run along the waves. We didn’t get too close though. The waves were so strong and powerful. Waves...there is something so peaceful about that sound...makes my heart smile a little bit.








Next stop was Sault Ste. Marie. Another great place. We headed to the Boardwalk area and it was fantastic. Boats sailing and a great view. We checked out the Art Gallery of Algoma which was interesting to say the least. Very friendly staff. We found another great coffee shop called The Steamy Bean...how could we pass by a coffee shop with such a fantastic name? Had a delicious latte. 




I am sure I saw a moose in a lake today...but who knows. It could have been a tree stump. We also saw an animal that I mistook for a kangaroo and Trent thought was a deer. Upon further inspection we discovered it was actually a coyote. Haha. Who knew there were no kangaroos in Ontario? J/K.

Sudbury tonight.
xo
Janine and Trent

1 comment:

  1. Did you make it to Montreal yet?!?
    I hope you got to do a little sight seeing in Ottawa while you were here!
    I was so happy to see you guys last night...wish it had been longer but we'll have to arrange to visit another time :)

    Oh and you know who Lucy was talking about when she kept saying Jesus? The statue of liberty on the logo! Haha she said it again when we go to the car and pointed to the sign. Funny kid :)

    Take care,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete