Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day Four...Northern Ontario...Dryden to Marathon...about 650km


The day started great. We began earlier then usual with coffee and a hearty continental breakfast...ambitious to make a little more progress today. Often when we are road trippin’ myself and Trent turn on some favorite music and sing...loud...along the way. It’s hilarious and passes the time I might add.
Beautiful weather again today.

So this is my take on the country so far. 
Alberta is prairies. Very flat, straight roads, fields, etc. 
Saskatchewan is even flatter. Total prairies. 
Manitoba still had very flat land and straight roads but more trees.
Northern Ontario is beautiful so far with Lake Superior and a very rocky terrain. But in the nighttime it has been very stressful. The roads are super winding. Up hills. Down Hills. Very dark. Lots of semi trucks. We had decided to try and not drive too much in the dark around here. We stopped in Thunder Bay today for supper and a look around. We thought we had plenty of time before dark, but realized later that the time in the truck was not Ontario time. We had forgotten to change our clocks! ...Total Trent and Janine...
Thunder Bay however was really nice. We went to the mall for a quick look...my idea, I admit. Then supper at Boston Pizza and a little sight seeing around the lake. Take a look.... 
This is a picture that Trent took of a spider web with me behind it.








I love to stop and take out my camera. However, lots of the photos we have taken for the blog have been with my iphone...not all the best quality.
Before we began this journey, I searched on the internet and asked a lot of people about how to plan this trip...where to stay and what route to take, etc. I kept hearing how long Northern Ontario is and this is the part of the drive that I have dreaded, to be honest. Trent has driven across the country a few times before but we had decided that this time, together, we would like to take our time, stop every night and enjoy places along the way. We have tried to stay in hotels we are familiar with...Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc. Now, here we are in Marathon Ontario. We were both a little skeptical about where to stay as there were not a lot of choices here but we decided on the Travelodge because the name sounded somewhat familiar. It turned out ok. 
It’s 10:45 and we are both exhausted but so thankful to be off the road for the night. 
Good night all!
xo 
Janine and Trent

A few more photos to share...











3 comments:

  1. s
    pec






























    SPECTACULAR SCENERY!!!!!!
    SPECTACULAR POSES!!!!

    STEAMY BEAN!!!!

    Suits you just FINE I'm sure.

    So glad you are taking time to visit those landmarks and DRINK in ALL its beauty!!!!!!!

    We are certainly ENJOYING the show!!!
    SUPERB!!!!
    LOVE til next time
    LOVE Mom and Erin xoxoxoxooxooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I BOO - BOOED!!!!!!
    I must have hit the ENTER button and pressed it too many times.
    When I went to post a comment and it came up
    s
    pec


    That's ALL I saw and I thought I was after
    losing all the comments we had wrote.
    THANKFULLY I didn't!!!!!!

    Love to you both
    Erin xooooooxooooxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys!!!

    Ive been reading and I must say that it seems like you guys are really taking everything in quite nicely!!!! Good for you guys (btw ... tried commenting on your very first blog but it didn't work for me ... so if it worked this time ... I finally did it right ;) ... xxoo

    Angel

    ReplyDelete